BEING SUSTAINABLE NEVER LOOKED SO BEAUTIFUL
Who We Are?
a collection and delivery service
A circular business model for the supply of orchids: instead of selling orchids to be thrown away after flowering, the plants are collected and submitted to the Refurbishing Method to flower again. Circular Orchids offers tailor-made subscription options to attend to the most diverse needs.
a part of circular economy
90% of orchids are thrown away after their first flowering. Orchids can re-bloom up to 5 times without loosing their quality; instead they become more abundant! Each orchid takes 3 liters of water and 2.16kg of CO2 to bloom; they need to stay inside a greenhouse for 1.5 years. Recovering orchids can have great impact in resource preservation.
a partner of a great greenhouse
Cooling in the summer, and heating over winter time is performed by the water is stored in an aquifer (underground storage). With this method of climate control we save 40% of the energy and because we also use only green electricity, we have reduced the CO2 emissions during our cultivation process to 0.
“Instead of a sole owner, you become part of the orchid's lifecycle, increasing circularity, one flower at a time.”
John Radford Miller
founder of Circular Orchids
How it works?
- Choose your arrangement
Select from single, double or triple flower set and match it with our stylish pots. Orchids come in many stunning colours and patterns, and everyone of them can amplify the cozyness of the room.
- Start first blooming
From this moment for as long as the you want with a minimum period of 3 months you will start refurbishing subscription and thus a circular life of the plant.
- Refurbish your plant
It may take more than 3 months if you will take care of your flower correctly. However, the moment will come when the paddles will start falling. This is when Circular Orchids show up at your door to change your plant with the fully bloomed one!
- Exchange again, and again…
The circularity in its full bloom! You can keep on receiving new flowers as long as your subscription last. You may cancel any time you want with a minimum of 6 months (1 exchange).
Greenhouse without gas
Established in 2006 a new nursery with 15,000 m2 of greenhouses for the cultivation of orchids is the first greenhouse without gas in the Netherlands! Our local grower uses an electric heat pump to heat and cool the greenhouses. In the summer, cold water is brought up from the ground, with which the greenhouse is being cooled. Then the heated water is stored in an aquifer (underground storage) and used again in the winter to heat the area where flowers grow. With this method of climate control we save 40% energy and because we also only use green electricity, we have reduced the CO2 emissions during our cultivation process to 0.
- Instead of selling orchids to be thrown away after flowering, the plants are collected and submitted to the Refurbishing Method to flower again.
- Our business has minimal paper-based processes and relies on digitized documents instead.
- We host our website on a 300% sustainable hosting service, which employs environmentally friendly servers and offsets energy consumption by purchasing three times the amount of energy it uses to power its websites in wind energy credits.
- The transportation fleet we use in the Netherlands is 100% electrical. That applies to our internal transportation as well as flowers delivery.
- The orchid has to seat in a plastic container due to its properties, but everywhere else, where we can, we use paper base wrapping. Therefore, the elements of short longevity, such as transportation wrapping, is created with sustainable paper.
- The Greenhouse we are collaborating with is a sustainable state of the art. With special method of climate control, the greenhouse reduces CO2 emission to 0.
Whether you’re curious about circularity, subscription model or perhaps you have a special request, we’re here to answer any questions!
Proudly supported by:
European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development:
Europe invests in its Countryside.
LEADER is a rural development grant program specifically designed for small-scale projects of interest to the Holland Rijnland region. The program is coordinated by LEADER Local Action Group and supported by the province of South Holland, the municipality of Nieuwkoop and the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development. The Circular Orchids project was approved by the LEADER Local Action Group.